2020 Innovative Approaches to the learning and teaching
of languages and cultures
Last day to register: Thursday 27 February 2020
The aims of this project are to:
- Trial and research innovative pedagogical models that will enhance the current offerings of languages and cultures programs
- Explore new ways in which the languages and cultures program can contribute to increased student engagement and whole school ownership of the project
- Be part of a network of schools that can support each other and inform system-wide strategies
2020 is the third year of this project and continuing schools will implement the strategies trialed in 2019. CESA will now support the addition of 3 new schools to the project who will have the opportunity to observe different models in Catholic schools in Melbourne that can be adapted to their own context.
Schools will have the time to research, explore, observe and trial the best models that best suit their contexts and enhance their languages and cultures programs. Continuing schools will work in a mentoring capacity to new schools starting this year.
New participants in this project will attend the Deakin University Professional Learning course on Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL) and Gesture Based approaches, partly taught in Melbourne at the same time as the visits to Catholic schools in Melbourne
Innovative models begin to be explored, trialled and implemented in order to:
- provide innovative ways of delivering the languages and cultures program
- extend languages use and learning beyond languages lessons, into cross-curricula or integrated learning, and contribute to students’ development of General Capabilities
- create new knowledge, understandings and approaches that can be shared across CESA schools through a formal research partnership
- contribute to the development of a CESA Languages and Cultures Strategy
- increase time on task in languages and cultures learning
- enhance student, staff and overall community engagement through languages learning
- develop whole school commitment to and ownership of their languages programs
Involvement in this Professional Learning Program will include school visits to Catholic schools in Melbourne and attendance at a Professional Learning course on Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL) and Gesture Based approaches by Deakin University.
Languages teacher and leader from 3 new CESA schools in addition to the current 5 members of the project.
- Continuing schools will receive a grant of $2,000 to support any activity related to the implementation of the approach chosen
- New schools will receive a grant of $4,000 to support their visit to Melbourne and any other activity related to this project
There is limited membership available for this Network
Date for the first meeting: To be advised once participants are confirmedFurther information
AITSL Australian Professional Standards for Teachers:
1.2 Understand how students learn
2.1 Content and teaching strategies of the teaching area
2.3 Curriculum, assessment and reporting
3.2 Plan, structure and sequence learning programs
3.3 Use teaching strategies
3.4 Select and use resources
6.2 Engage in professional learning and improve practice
6.3 Engage with colleagues and improve practice
Educators wanting to lead the implementation of innovative strategies that will enhance the languages and cultures programs.
Educators with responsibility over the languages and cultures curriculum.
Cost: no fee
Catering: morning tea and lunch will be provided
Curriculum, Learning and Wellbeing Consultant
For Further Information regarding registration: